Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 163.30
  Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August 19th - Step one of conversion!
    Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 9:44am

Hey guys!

I still have a lot of testing to do to verify things are working correctly, but most of the new coding is (thankfully) finished! So it's time to start doing things to make the conversion smooth from my end.

On Sunday, August 19th, 2012, I will be "freezing" current stable associations and "hidden" statuses. I will also be suspending the ability to add new stables to the old version of the game until the new version is up and running (it had to be done at some point).   What does this mean?

In the new version of the game, you will only log in with your "masterstable". Stables associated with a master stable will not have passwords; they will simply be "substables" of the original master stable.   That means there will be no need to remember a password for all of your stables (since there's only one password anyway).   

When signing up for a stable in the new version of the game, new users will sign up for a "masterstable", while current users will simply request a new "substable."    Players cannot later shuffle stables around to make a different stable the "masterstable"; a "masterstable" is always a "masterstable", and a "substable" is always a "substable".

Also, once a "substable" is associated with a "masterstable", it cannot later be associated with a different "masterstable".   Furthermore, as I alluded to above, players cannot later merge one set of stables in with another.     In other words: I need you to get all of your stables in order before I move them to the new version of the game.

Finally, you are more than welcome to run 2 or more sets of stables; I'm completely fine with that. I simply want everyone to be aware that multiple stable sets cannot later be merged into one set and large sets cannot later be broken apart. Also, I have nothing against players "sharing" a group of stables even if they have their own set of stables. This has been a long standing tradition, and brings a lot of added enjoyment to the game.    Be forewarned, however, that the ability to change the e-mail address and password associated with a "masterstable" exists in the new version of the game. In other words, it would be possible for one player to quickly and easily lock out other players sharing a set of stables. I will not play police officer in situations like this; just be aware of what you are potentially getting yourself into.   

Some people may wonder why I don't simply eliminate the "substable" concept altogether. It would have been easier for me to do so, but the reasoning for keeping this structure is twofold. For starters, there is a lot of game history associated with each substable.   Secondly, it allows players that play only a handful of stables to be "pointwise competitive" with larger conglomerates when using points as well as in competitions.

Once frozen, I will be able to add all stables to the new game (although I will not move horses over until later). Depending on how far along I am, I may even let players begin poking around at that time (though I can't promise that yet).

Closer and closer. :)

--Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply