Forum Home Forum Home > Blogs > eHorseracing Blog
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

URGENT - Moving the database server ASAP

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 943
MBP : 171.20
  Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: URGENT - Moving the database server ASAP
    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:16am
Hey guys -

First off, I apologize profusely for the recent site issues.

A couple of weeks ago, my house was hit by lightning. This caused a site outage, and forced me to go to one backup machine.

The primary machine the game relies on took a while to come back up, but eventually started working again. I have spent the last week or two trying to adjust it but it has never recovered properly.    Moreover, the wifi on my Watchguard router is struggling as well (which may point to underlying issues with how it is managing the site as well).

Within the next week or so, I will attempt to move the database server to Digital Ocean (think a smaller Amazon).   This will not be quick, cheap, or easy. You may recall I tried to migrate to a different version of MySQL early last year and things didn't go so well so, even after migration, expect some pain points.

Since I really can't take any time off of work right now, it unfortunately makes the most sense to do a move like this on the weekend. That gives me the best opportunity to reduce the move time. I may begin as early as tomorrow morning, but I may have to wait one more week.

This will finally move the largest part off the game out of my home, and will take the management out of my hands (which has always been a struggle). This is definitely the safest and best move, but it does come with a pricetag (roughly $400 extra a month, which is why I haven't done this yet).

During this move, the Zulip chat WILL be active, but the messageboard and game will be down.

Again - expect pain-points after the move. The game may be down for an entire weekend, and possibly into the next week. Parts of the game may not be immediately operational once it is back online, but I will work diligently to fix all issues.

Depending on how long it takes, I may try to push entries and races out a day or two.

I am sorry again for the issues and the timing of this, but I have become concerned that these issues will not resolve themselves without extreme intervention at this point.


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.50
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz